November 04, 2014

Advent Study - Day 2

I just finished day 2 of my advent study and it spoke of God's promises ... especially His promises to Israel and Judah ... despite disobedience and unbelief.  The point to ponder is what promises God has made to me and kept.  There are many biblical promises He has kept certainly, but my heart always goes back to the promises He made me when I was little ... when I was unable to defend myself in a cruel world.  Before I was even in kindergarten, He told me He would protect me from the worst ... that nothing I experienced would cost me my life ... and that one day He would save me.  I didn't know exactly what that meant, but I knew it would be a day of celebration.  Reflecting on that, I see a chain of broken promises from imperfect people ... and a chain of fulfilled promises from a perfect God.

I focused on the advent prompt for my journal page.  I scanned and enlarged an old Polaroid of me from that time.  I got gobs of pixellation, so I painted the image, but it is still a bit blurry.  I added a red ribbon to highlight Isaiah 9:2.  My eyes look haunted ... a reminder of all that God has brought me through ... and a reminder of what my own spiritual death looked like.  I felt like my mouth needed to be covered ... a reminder that I grew up with a social handicap and that God is my voice when I let Him :)

My life is full of life.  I could not always say that, but walking with Christ, I can say that.  He remembers His people ... and He is Truth ... and He fulfills His promises.





1 comment:

Joanne Huffman said...

A very striking page.