September 11, 2010

Scraped Fabric

This was an experience.  I  decided to take Michelle Ward's Street Team Challenge and try scraping paint on a piece of gessoed fabric I am using for a wall-hanging for a friend.

I scraped on cadmium yellow, crimson, and phthalo blue.  Then I scraped some paint over a masked stencil.  It made neat patterns and a grungy kind of texture, but the images were lost.  An interesting combination of colors ... but not the color scheme I was looking for and defintiely did not match the trim I picked out.  

I brayered over most of it with French Vanilla and scraped more paint in pink and blue tones.  Coordinated with my trim better, but definitely not the colors I was originally aiming for.  I wanted a crisper look with my masks this time,so I used fluorescent pink and teal spray paints.  This was fun and I will definitely experiment more with tyvek masks on paper.

17 comments:

michelle ward said...

Karen - how cool that you tried scraping onto fabric! I love that you kept at it...adding layers as problem solving to get the look you wanted. The spraying looks great too - can't believe it's fabric under there. Thanks for sharing with the team.

Jessica said...

i'm with Michelle - i love that you used fabric! This is really nice, and the masks look great (i LOVE spray paint...).

Joanne Huffman said...

Love the colors and feeling of depth and texture.

Anonymous said...

I am so pleased I read your post today; I am making Christmas presents this year and want to make prayer flags for my sister. Knowing you craped on fabric and it worked is such a bonus. Love the result you ended up with and the thought of all those layers.

Cathy said...

I really like this, Karen, the colors are awesome & the stenciling came out so nicely!!!

Kim Tedrow said...

Ha! We used the same colors for this challenge, that's so cool. Anyway, I like that you used this technique on fabric, and I love how the stenciling turned out. Your skill is evident! I'm going to have to try this on fabric as well, thanks for the inspiration. Great work. -Kim

Karen Owen said...

Karen, I love where you took this. The colors are indeed bright, but I like the combination, and the lighter color in the stenciled area is a great contrast.

Gez Butterworth said...

Amazing art. Gorgeous colours. Great idea to use fabric.

*jean* said...

gorgeous color results!!!

Kim Mailhot said...

You've got yourself a gorgeous piece of fabric there ! Fantastic job, Crusader !

VStarRider said...

I love the faded effect of the stencils....that really looks good. I would not have thought of fabric - I don't normally work with it. Thanks for the advice on how it worked for you.
Cindi

jgr said...

Very cool that you tried this on fabric, I love it! Your sprayed stencils are so crisp over the layered background-beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Wow! This turned out super and you were so brave to try it on fabric!

Brigitte aka Scrappassie said...

This looks absolutely fabulous ! Awesome you used the technique on fabric, I cannot believe the inspiration I find in this Crusade ! Thank you so much for sharing, love your work !

goudenregen said...

So beautiful! When I see this I want to make a little bag out of it or something. Very inspiring.

Kathryn Costa said...

What gorgeous colors. Love that you used fabric in place of paper. Way to go!

TJ said...

Cool scraping, and so brave to do it on fabric! Love the color combo. Happy creations from germany, tj