February 23, 2009

Collage of my Parents

Mom and Dad

















I finally got a photo from my brother's camera downloaded of the collage I did of my parents. I gave this to my father on Christmas Day and he passed away exactly a week later. I painted the photo using the techniques I learned in Karen Michel's class few years ago. I had some difficulties, as usually you start with a high contrast photo ... but I had to use what I could find and this was my favorite picture of them together.

I didn't do a very good job on my Moms eyes. What was funny ... my Dad said he recognized my Mom right away and wanted to know who the man in the picture was . I told him that was him ... but the funny thing is I did a better job on him and it looks just like him LOL He said he never saw them together in a photo LOL

My brother only took one photo --- grrr! So this is all I have. It is not particularly good. The little white dots are where the flash was shining on the glossy parts.

4 comments:

Darya said...

I love this! I know you will treasure it always.
Hugs,
Darya

Joanne Huffman said...

Your parents' portrait is wonderful, Karen. It's sure to be a family treasure.

Joanne

jackie said...

I am glad you finally got the photo so you could share it with us! Great job! I can't imagine tackling something like this!
hugs,
jackie

Aimeslee Winans said...

Well, it's not like you altered the only copy you have of the original one, so just think of it as the artsy version. Take that pressure off of yourself. {hugs}